Wednesday, September 12, 2012

"Soft Drinks/Drunken Hearts"

"Soft Drinks/Drunken Hearts"

Prompt orders delivered
To my soft drink sipper.
Meticulous mixer
Offering elaborate elixirs
To palates preferring more.
More craft.
More quality.
More dedication.
The sensation derived
From an avid aficionado
who honestly could care less
about kudos and bravo.

I'm your favorite bartender.
Short story lender.
Smooth savant of spirits
That monitors your limits.
Fond hugs get frothy mugs.
Wipe your chin, baby.
Tie back your hair
So I can admire a pair.
I promise not to stare.
No early advances.
Just a few short glances
As you aim to take chances.

Six shots before seven.
You kiss the rim of each glass.
You tie the cherry stems
But the lemons get a pass.
I tend to other guests;
But you call me back over
In your cute little attempts
To feign still being sober.
Your coat falls from your shoulder.
Not like it covered up much.
You say your skin is colder.
It needs warm hands to touch.

Yeah, baby. You've had enough.
Your words sound real gruff.
You're trying to hang tough.
No more of this stuff.
Give me that back
Take two of these
And please:
Sip this slowly.
You treat me like you know me.
Such a strong rapport.
You just smile and nod
Until I close the store.

I guess this goes on your tab.
You've no money for a cab
And you're all alone.
I don't mind taking you home.
I didn't, at least.
Drunken hands feel and fondle.
I accidentally hit the throttle.
At the next red light,
You reveal a hidden bottle.
Oh yeah? Pass that.
Snatched that. Dumped that.
Flung it out the window.

Autumn wind blows
And you really start to shiver.
Bourbon on the breath,
But your lips still quiver.
The staircase was a challenge;
But we avoid the damage.
In some way, you've managed
To slip into your shower.
I should leave now;
But you might hurt yourself.
Conscience far too strong
To act like I'm not involved.

I remember when the schnapps
Used to be peach soda.
I remember when root beer floats
Were all you needed to get over.
Nowadays, three scoops of vanilla
Or a glass of Dr. Pepper
Are tall glasses filled
With what is triple distilled.
Those were better days;
But anyways,
You exit the shower
To greet my towel.

After drying off,
You eye your lotion bottle.
I wanted to be nice, right?
Alright; but I'm not spending the night.
Slick hair and optional underwear.
Still flaunting that nice pair.
Testing my sinew with your curves.
You often get on my nerves.
Please don't press my mettle.
You were never one to settle.
That's why my finger bears no metal.

That drink received no chaser.
Still a hard sip to swallow.
That's why I refuse to follow.
That shot glass will remain hollow.
Lights out in two blinks.
My love for you a mixed drink.
I offer a forehead kiss
Before considering myself dismissed.
But hey; it's all cool.
Dust off the bar stools,
Place this towel over my shoulder
And wait for you to come over.

I know it sounds like madness;
But I avoid the sadness
By allowing you to return.
Lessons repeatedly learned;
But I still look for the day
When you'll sit there and wink
And before I grab the spirits,
You'll request a soft drink. †EVL

Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment