Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"Requiem: Idle Hearts"

"Requiem: Idle Hearts"

Left petals strewn
across water like the letters
that we used to write.
Thoughts take flight;
crossing paths with emotion.
Messengers to us.

I fancy the time
when your messenger would retire;
gorging my ire thoughtlessly;
replaced by your presence.
Words only fall new from you.

Utopia was never as tangible
as the days we sat here.
This porch.
These nights.
Street lights.
Just life.
Not much outside of abundance.

Not far fetched at all.
Garments snatched and balled
will always trump phone calls;
kisses moist;
born of wishes
voiced in eager choice…

But this?
Just retention.
A longing extension
of what I surely believe
you also reach out for.
Open pores soak
under the sun for just one.

None greater than the latter.
Not even the later
lush with ambitious favors.
Those who like me
will soon slight me;
but you still love me.

Your love read upon lips
like remaining red upon hips
I once sought out for stability;
the ability to see
short phrases without calligraphy…

"Yes" between breaths.
Cries between sighs…
Witnessed limbs stretch
as if longitude lies…
and today,
I don't want to ask why.

It hurts.

It always gets a little harder;
watching these petals
dance in the water.
Profound reminder, I suppose
of doors we never closed…




………………until we had to. <3 br="br" evl="evl">
Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment