Sunday, January 22, 2017

"20/20"

"20/20"

I sat too close to the screen
and it claimed some vision.
Sight held ransom.
Paid quite the handsome price
to suffice with these frames
and suffer through these names
I've now grown numb to.
So much from you
I've had to endure
in a distortion as pure
as this saline solution.
Said I'd gain my retribution
but I don't think I want it
now. 


I
just
wanted
to
see.
Imagined life through the monocle.
Focused and trained the eye that goes
wherever this mind would have it. 


For what it's worth,
I keep them clean.
I channel surf through TV screens
and study long on what is seen
as worthwhile among the peers.
These years have been different since
insurance covered every cent
so that this world would make some sense
at least from where I sat....
"Who is that?"
"What are those?"
"What's worse: his posture or his clothes?"
"They sit crooked on his nose."
"How could he see to read his prose?"


I suppose,

...I
just
wanted
to
be
anyone
or anything
or any way but me.
The right inclined and will to see
I've now ignored vehemently.
Saw what they saw
so I hid from me. 


Emerged from
the dirge of my depression
with lessons learned in fear
prolonged like the essence burned til seared
into my mind certain and clear
as my reflection
as they rest upon my ears.
Years made a fad of the forlorn.
Once scorned now lauded.
Applauded even.
Receiving what I have no use for
now.
Remembered how
but you're forgetful now
and I find that entertaining
amid the maiming with your games
and barely recalling my name
except when exacting some shame
to promote your own effort to fame.
You see me.
You always have
and I am now
what you'll never have the chance to be.
Fancy me in my frame
when your she recalls my name
but would exclaim yours in intimacy. 


I
am
all
of
me
and you can't even examine yourself.
Lies are not fair to the health
or the eye sight
so while you fight through the tears,
think of one among your peers
that once had to choke them back,
turn around and not push back
just to preserve what you now lack. 


Protect your face when fate attacks.
Don't break that frame.
They won't take it back....... 




















Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment