Sunday, January 8, 2017

"Candle Wax"

"Candle Wax" 

Raining sideways.
The bulk of my days
spent searching for the sunlight.
This mud might be the blessing.
A lesson taught yet ignored
here on the floor
with this wet book of matches.
The drapes
match the skies
and my disposition.
Envisioned a much brighter place.
Felt that to hide my face
would be protection from the rays.
Now I'm content concealed from days
in ways most introverts would question. 


Impression
in my mind
in my head
in that bed
sunk deep into the fabric.
Figured me elastic:
circling back with the charm
that always guaranteed some harm
to one
or many
of the select few
who knew I'd soon return for rest
but even the best of my acquaintances
could not have possibly foreseen
exactly where I've been these days. 


Would raise up from any position
to make sure it glistens.
Listened as fingers snapped.
Waited for the scratch
that would give way to clarity.
I would practice nights
but tragically
had no similar effect on illumination
at first
but in my worst of determined works,
both ends would smolder.
I the holder
in control of absolutely nothing.
I hoped it would last
as long as my pride
but in my ways,
I have learned that the day
will not delay for me.
What I can see
is relative to my portion of time
and mine would be considered mismanaged. 


Fortunate for the darkness
as no one can see the tarnished
remains of what I took for vain
until maimed further than I can bandage.
This source of power damaged
and sticky in my hands.
Used to burn bright where it would stand.
Ignored the breeze or ceiling fan.
Made clear the path to my demands so hollow. 























Now what have I to follow? 

Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment