Thursday, April 24, 2014

"The Blackout Part 4: Prey"

"The Blackout Part 4: Prey"


He hovers over you.
He circles your path.



Your bird of prey drawing closer
with each passing day.
In your weaker days,
your cough would whet his palate.
The sight of you getting queasy
over thoughts that come so easy
certainly must make you appetizing.
What would be more enticing
than that agonizing fear?
Paralyzed between your tears
and the years you often recall.
Somewhat appalled you may appear
when recounting all those battles.
You: picked over like cattle
days after impending slaughter.
Farther into the further of your contempt.



Yet you tarry with your gimp
until you can barely limp away.



One would perceive it simply
as dire gluttony concealed
but there are familiar patterns
that have plotted out your will.
You pretend to starve and black out
until the night is drawn back out
but to your unforeseen dismay,
your bird of prey won't wait all day
just for mere pecks at night
and in the eyesight of your pledge,
he looks down from his ledge
but won't acknowledge that I'm near.



His grave indifferent deeds
to substantiate his needs
will be his thoughtless sacrifice.
This heart that would melt ice
has become as cold as stone.
You exalt me high
upon this bench you call a throne
until you are left alone.
Gone are the musings of enchantment.
Our light cannot withstand the current.
Darkness is our deterrent
and the stage I will perform on.



Costly your encouragement.
Punishment in waves.
I WILL NOT behave.
Lord knows I won't stave
a moment's chance to bend this staff
crafted from the affectionate lies
I have become so dependent upon.
You will lead him on.



You will goad him.
You will lure.



You will make absolutely sure
that my swing won't be in vain.
Your consolation every stain
blotched upon this blunt weapon.
I will teach no lesson.
His scream will reach the heavens
but salvation is not his to claim.
I will maim.
He will hear my name
and remain perched. Never afloat.
Your buzzard will not provoke
or I will surely own his throat.



Throw those apologies away.
Reserve words you've longed to say.
Make it plain as I give way.
Make sense of the choice to stay.
Be forewarned should you delay:
keep in mind what I'll display
and if we ever see that day,







 






























all you can really do is pray.


Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment