Monday, April 14, 2014

"The Blackout Part 3: Nightmares"

"The Blackout Part 3: Nightmares"

I hear never ending jeers.
My subconscious harassed by your existence.
Memories consistent with a marred past
persistent in their unruly haunting.
Sleep eludes me nightly.
Truly a daunting task
comparable to that of an alcoholic
struggling to empty out the flask.
What lasts I struggle with often.
You pace back and forth in my mind;
waiting for the chance to lash out
should I ever look to blackout.


Never thought we both would rue the day
that I decided not to stay.
Minutes wasted in delay
now impede my getaway.
Suffice it to say,
I knew the dreams would follow me.
Hollow me, in desperate need of filler.
My killer willing to supply.
Gentle these deadly thoughts
wrought in mockery of us……
trust traced in your silhouette
warped whenever eyes are wet.
Distorted vision.
Admission exclusively for me.
WHY WON'T YOU LET ME BE?!?!
Let me mourn peacefully in my slumber.


My choice perceived as blunder
by those remaining at the surface.
Your purpose never more apparent to me.
I can see and wish I couldn't.
Wouldn't matter to you.
That listless expression in your face…
Today's grace, tomorrow's nightmare
and a bleeding heart trapped between.


Keen my recollection of the scene:
Dimly lit hall.
Your heels poke holes in my jeans.
My favorite pair.
My dirty hair.
Your complexion always fair.
I sit and stare at the stairs.
One would presume I just don't care
but my heartstrings begin to show.
Nonetheless, I whisper "Go."
Time never moved so slow before now…
The lasting image my memory touts
is of you leaving out.
I want to shout but nothing comes out.
I am frozen in that stare.
The glare that one light bulb
can give entire hallway……
When you move, you walk away
but it feels like days
before you reach the staircase.
Disgust smeared on your face
when you decide to look back.
Some nights I hope you reach the stairs.
Other nights I fancy you walking back.


Either way, I seek an end
to this image etched in my brain.
I draw some solace from the pain.
Although my faculties are drained
and I have no reason to want you,
my mind flaunts you before me.
Adorned in that which was our last day,
your display remains to this day
amid your incessant jeers
and these unrelenting tears
I've been choking back for years.
































Light will only appear to illuminate my fear.



Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment