Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"Hummingbird And Blue Jay"


"Hummingbird And Blue Jay"


She can run for miles. 
She can move all day. 
She can fly for hours. 


I'd give chase forever. 


She shines in sunlight. 
She sparkles in the shade. 
The brightest sight God ever made. 


Her luster never fades. 


I flail. 
Wings flap til weary. 
I fail. 
Wide eyes become teary. 


Yet another somber day
That she isn't near me. 
There has to be a way. 
I truly want her dearly. 


I can hear God's Angels sing
Every time she flaps her wings. 
I'm left to manage rosy cheeks
Every time she parts her beak. 


But my eyes still leak
And my strides deplete
And my wings get weak…


…but my heart still speaks. 


I watch in awe as she flutters
Whilst my days decrease in number. 
Some days are spent wondering why;
But every time, I trust a try. 


Every day she passes by
Grants me the will to fly. 
I follow through the darkest depths
and even where it seems too high. 


Far be it for me
To give up on what I see. 
This degree of affinity
Is crystal clear to me. 
She is divinity. 
My fond memory. 
Daily mystery. 
Nightly serenity. 
My springtime majesty. 
Perched high above the litany
Of squandering swallows and ducks
That can't hold a twig for me. 
She is my shining vision. 
Her wings hum like harps. 
The envy of every pigeon
That wished they were as sharp. 


But what is given to he
Who chases symmetry
Only to remain outlined in misery?
This is my tragedy.
My greatest travesty. 
I guess it must prove true
That I'm destined be as blue
As this coat that houses my hue. 


I recall the day
When it became too much. 
She was so far away. 
I just wanted her touch. 
She didn't stay very long. 
I listened to her song. 
She glistened in the wind. 
Our embrace closer than friends…


…thats where this begins…
…I don't want it to end…
…but my wings need to mend…
…is there some strength to lend?


She can run for miles. 


I'll endure the trials. 
I'll withstand the wiles. 
I'll just heal awhile. 


She can move all day. 


Try as I may,
I will find a way. 
I'll push through the fray. 


She can fly for hours. 


I will find the power. 
I will navigate these showers. 
I'll climb the highest tower. 


I'll deal with the weather. 
Nothing will cleave these feathers. 
One day, we'll be together. 


I'd give chase forever. 


Written By: Devin Joseph Metz


For You, Hummingbird.

1 comment:

  1. Love the imagery displayed here ... for me it personifies that one love you want. I really like this one!!

    ReplyDelete