Wednesday, December 7, 2011

"Vesper"

"Vesper"

Can't fight the fear.
Don't need today.
I've fought for years.
Take me away.
You led me here.
Lead me away;
Because one thousand of my tears
Still can't quell the fray.

It's just hell today
Followed by more tomorrow.
It was peaceful yesterday;
Twisted prelude for impending sorrow.
I wish there was some light to borrow;
Although I might not give it back.
This darkness is strategically stacked;
So I look high. The moon is black.

The warmth is gone.
This fire still burns,
But it scorches when I embrace it.
I suppose that lesson is learned;
So I lay here; freezing in pain.
I'm not concerned with the rain.
It doesn't wash me clean.
It just reveals my stains.

My mouth is always dry
Although I indulge in wet grains.
Can't say the same for my eyes;
But the raindrops mask my pain.
I probably look like a leper
To this weekly wandering lecturer.
He often comes my way.
I often shy away.

He never ends the day
Without granting me invitation.
I struggle to hide libation;
But he offers me salvation;
Saying he's watched me walk these streets
As I search for something to eat.
He offers pillows and bed sheets
And clothes that are crisp and neat.

He says that my bad luck
Is born of familiar traits:
When the mind depends on luck,
The heart may soon abandon faith.

He said that I still have a chance.
He vows that he is not deceiving.
He left me with a shining glance
At what I could be achieving.

He calls this place "His Father's House;"
Full of the faithful, steadfast and believing.
Since I no longer have a house,
I may visit his this evening.

Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment