Thursday, March 5, 2020

"Courtesy"

"Courtesy" 

Don’t make me feel.
To feel means it 
either was
possibly is
or might soon
be real
and that means that
I’m left with layers
to peel back
until appeal and authenticity
appear to be one in the same
and that would require
my willingness to touch that fire
and try not to wince.
To embrace that heat
without growing tense.
To draw again
on what I’ve always sensed
but tried to believe
that I’ve forgotten since.

A brief glimpse
and I’m there again
where again 
is both the incentive
and the indictment.
Nights went by
and we laughed
and I cried
and we tried our worst
to hide it from the light;
caring less about the sight
and too much about sensation.
Actions that went against
every single inclination
that I've unsuccessfully tried to present
as something truly intrinsic to my being.

Don't bring into being
the state of flux
that I've worked so hard
somewhat
to keep tucked away.
Not interested in what one would say.
I shouldn't be, at least.
It makes sense to keep us at bay
to preserve my portion of peace
and I'm well aware
of how selfish that sounds
but with every piece
left on the ground,
it becomes easier to convince myself
that there's nothing I need to choke down
whenever you decide to come around

but,

even when fully clothed,
I feel naked in your presence.
No cover can conceal the hell
that penetrates every veil
I could ever hope to fashion
before you.
With reluctance,
I recount the ways
that I would set the table
by sweeping away labels
I thought would never apply
to you
or me.
Never realized even once
until too close to the end
that I was merely making room:
brushing away the dimmer days
so that the darker nights
would hopefully benefit
from sitting next to a light
barely acknowledged by sight.

Don't tell me it's alright
when I'm not
and you might be.
I don't dwell on likely.
It doesn't matter if you like me
now.

Don't dare appeal to my 
favorite
fractured
fragments
when the advent was more spectacle
than the time before the departure.

Don't be to me now
the very lesson
that I have prayed against
with what energy remained
in reflection
and depression
and stubbornness against futility.

Don't employ that tacit ability
to make light of my humility
so dry
as if it should be perceived
as some sort of consolation prize.
My eyes view you
with no true semblance of solace
but if I might be painfully honest,

I'm still very much in love with you.

That truth I still sit with.
In silence.

Don't deny me that reciprocity.
























Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment