Monday, June 27, 2016

"After"

"After" 

Losing sleep tonight
focused on the intentional.
The physical means.
That critical delay before dreams
as detailed as the thoughts are.
I'd be lying if I said
that I fought hard
and put forth some effort
to forget it
like that's even possible.
I bottle those recollections
and seal them tight
but it all bursts before sunlight. 


Someone might understand the semantics.
I've certainly never planned this secrecy.
How well you see me
in the dark
is a stark reminder
to what has become the primer
the precursor
the first coat
the initial soaked sheet in this bed.
Eyes red in restlessness
so I'm here confessing this much
only stopping to touch consistently.
Persistence,
she's a little outdated.
We've waited and waded
and the well still hasn't run dry.
We thought less of stopping by;
choosing instead to just think
of that cool drink. 


I'd sink in
if I blink while writing
words only worth reciting
in our stints of privacy.
Forced to move about quietly
pining over a past
proven to last
when all else eventually becomes stale.
Intriguing how a concept
so frail
can offer strength
to that which is deep seated.
Relived the worst things
with the best of outcomes
until relieved of such 


when I come 

a little closer.
Mind doubled over.
Times this sober
yet still hungover.
Flung over covers.
Tension is smothered.
Swung at it until my soul hovers
and I can feel the stains
ingrained as much into this fabric
as the decadence and havoc
that would become this tragic memory. 


This of we.
Enough for two
but there's none for me


and no more of you. 




















I can't stand this truth... 

Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment