Tuesday, November 12, 2013

"Idle Thoughts Part 4: Milky Vanilla"

"Idle Thoughts Part 4: Milky Vanilla"

I didn't request a double.

Generous and subtle,
Another portion poured
As if it were your favorite chore.
You pretend to slip.
Perfect way to lose your grip.
Heavy hands suddenly throttled
and you knew I'd catch the bottle.

Sat it down. Looked around.

Still in her bedroom, it seems.
Can't quite call this a dream
But all is surreal at the seams.
Brink of reality. The cusp of fantasy
All while I'm sitting here.
Revert to normalcy.
It may be time to go…………
…………I'll just sip slow.

Everything is hazy.

What's in the drink you gave me?
I still feel my feet;
But they wander the street.
I'm still pursuing you?
If it's all the same,
I'm not really one for games.
I don't even know your name.
I just acknowledged the flame.

I'm without polish again.

Dress shirt from the cleaners.
Generic demeanor
And a closet full of sneakers.
Got these dress shoes
From a friend who never went to church.
Shoe box value kept its worth.
Searched for keys and found her purse.
Sat there between frown and smirk.

Could've sworn I left this room.

Why are we still in this bed?
Thoughts of you still in my head.
You don't snore. You breathe.
Makeup on my sleeve.
I guess it's easy to believe
That one in my current list of wiles
Would've followed you for miles
Like it would erase my trials.

"Shots belong in glasses; not vials."

That's what she would say.
Came back here today.
Tonight, rather
Just to watch the band play.
I love the bright lights.
I've had the sweaty brow.
I'm still ready now
But I'll just nurse this whiskey.

Peculiar is me wondering if you missed me.

Feels as if it's just me
and you're staring instead.
Fault lines were glowing red.
Now I don't know what I read.
No pickup lines were fed.
Just a little conversation.
City blocks longer than nations
We traverse for hibernation.

It all made sense from the start.

Still don't know your name.
Never asked you for your heart.
I guess that's called lagniappe.
Between the laps we walked instead,
thoughts racing through my head,
that nap shared in your bed,
and this napkin now dark red,
I guess the mood is mellow now.

The napkin is yellow now.

I guess red was the warning.
I was read as charming
but not enough to cost you.
The subtlety in your view
Says "I can't wait to accost you"
As you take away my glass.
No doubt you were my most recent past
Fully aware of my past
From conversing about the future.
Sat here looking like "I knew her……"
"…………I know her! No, her!"
My befriended bartender
more thick than slender
With the heavy sheen.
Skirt replaced by jeans
But skin still that of vanilla milk.

My feet never felt better.

Let her continue her shift.
My eyes shift across the wall.
Examined it all.
Then let the frustration fall.
My memories once plagued
Now appear so very vague;
Crumbling as they fade
In the dim of these lamp shades.

And I'm walking down the street.
And the music was a treat.
And my past is not discreet.
My glass of milk light on her feet.
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Refreshing. Yummy. Delicious.

Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment