Thursday, July 25, 2013

"Eye Level"

"Eye Level" 

What I have to say shouldn't matter.
I'm only here for the laughter.
We'll never pretend to be
as long as it's more than we.
I'll blend in with the chatter.
We might exchange words after...
...after a few drinks,
maybe two blinks
and a visit to the sink
just before they start to think.
Profile that of salty wiles.
Our destination lost for miles.

Can't always pick up
what eventually falls over
even when we grip bolder.
Maybe we are not the holders.
Pebbles feel like boulders.
The fortitude of a soldier
can't evade the tipping point;
so what's the point?
Hapless inquiry.
Foreign vicinity for the motive.
Motivated by ulterior
and this is just the exterior.

I'll return to the bridge
for the sake of pure vision
resting just above my nose.
So much sits beneath my prose.
The withered rose will never harden
hiding deep within the garden
next to marigolds and daisies
where the perfumed air is hazy.
Yes. The lazy let you linger;
but ambition lines my fingers:
three beneath you feeling nice.
Uproot you for a cheaper price.

Sold for a steal to newer friends.
Seal the deal then wipe the lens.
Could care less for a mix in;
and if you return, I'll do it again.
Indifferent to what you conceal.
Blissfully deaf to your shrills.
Not foolish enough to display skill
for those who never could fit the bill.
You call that arrogance.
I call it ever since
blended well with common sense.
That double entendre is past tense.

So that's our conversing.
That glass you sat there nursing
is still at lipstick level.
Isn't it time to revel?
I'm sure you've heard them heckle;
calling for that fat cat.
Where's it at? Where did it go?
Where did it run to?
Shall we employ a "gumshoe?"
Did it steal your tongue too?
Is that bar stool adjustable?
Do I make you uncomfortable?





















Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

1 comment: