Sunday, December 21, 2014

"Star Crossed"

"Star Crossed"

It's dark outside
and we have no audience.
I suppose these are the moments ...

one presumably could afford to miss.
Nights when raindrops trickle
to serve well as visual distortion
now observe diminished portions.


Two singular.

The child's finger frantically tracing
the images in her brain
displayed beyond her window panes.
Streaks of energy
drawn from affinity untamed.
I barely know your name
but I wonder how you sound
reciting mine to request attention.
Contention so simply ignored
that no afterthought was stored.


 You burn bright to command my sight.

Knew nothing and expected less than.
We can ignore the streak
but the remnants will linger.
Maybe that child's finger
will document our impending collision.
Vision is a loaded concept, after all.


The fear of falling once so ever present
is now relegated to the essence
of what memory will not acknowledge.
Knowing that you're glowing
makes the fall much more enticing.
Your inviting hue as you blew past
fast enough for blinks to rob the anxious
I instead chose to experience in one breath.
Left to my own graces,
I'd likely pursue until
the faceless you offered countenance.
In my confidence, forever is less than adequate.


So we soar high
and we fall fast
and the light crawls.
We've let time pass
too much not to take full advantage.
I have perceived you too rare
not to plot one's path toward.


If only this weren't so hard....

We know what we want
and learn where to find it
but never plan for what sits behind it.
In my most powerful of influences,
I still doubt I'd have ever drawn
close to anything that resembles you


and for that I am fortunate.

A rare sight before these willing eyes.
A surprise I've grown familiar with.
A love warm enough to feel
lifetimes away before seeing it for real.
You appeal to my dreams
with the very mystique
that child observes in the streaks
that decorate the sky at night.


Color bounces then fades behind you.
If fortunate enough,
I'll be traced to find you
up high where the stars can't climb.
Our own atmosphere
and should the day come
when you would again cross my path,
I intend to draw you near.


Streaks of glow that crawl forever.
In our distance,
we could care less about stormy weather
when we fall together.



 
 














Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment