Monday, February 17, 2014

"Cliffhanger"

"Cliffhanger"
 

Don't pull me up.
I've grown fond of this angle.
I can see so much more
from this ledge where I dangle
and I'm sure I'll fall soon
but before I do,
I will peer into the skies
for what runs away from the moon.
Eyes wide before departure.
Sport for the archer
hoping that I hang on a little longer
while taking aim at my heart.
I drew it all in parts:
One in admission of guilt.
One in need of thrill.
Two equal parts ill will
with both sinking fast.
Pile driven pulsations.
Downward spiral that will last
long enough to witness the crash.
Cashed out but bought in.
Sold out to souls thin enough
to see through the rough clearly
hiding the worn and the weary.



Nearly lost my grip
but no quiver in these lips.
Thoughts begin to flip
to those who wish to stand here
near the brink of futility.
Mysterious and magical.
Fanatical in flocks
just to perch upon rocks
for the ill fated photo opp.
Royal prowess through the lens.
Hash tagged the latest trends
and shared it with their favorite friends
that they barely ever speak to.
The growing need for the cusp
means nothing to one on the edge
and here I am beneath this ledge.



Once pledged my life
to a sense of security.
If it lacked congruency,
then it never knew of me.
Coincidental how the new in me
drew no contempt from truancy
pertaining to my direction.
Each emphatic inflection
would affirm the guilt in me.
Ink I've spilt to see
if it truly shares consistency
with that of bleeding limbs.
Hymns I've sung in earnest
line the logs within my furnace.
My ingrained book of lies
offer embers to the skies
and I flail like every page
in this wind and every phase
in which time dissolves my will.
We hunger for thrill;
but know nothing of the potency.
Openly we fasten to restraints
without the sufficient strength
to simply admit that we can't. 



We cannot stay strong.
We cannot hold on.
We will not hold fast
to that which will never last
sure to outlast groundless efforts
concentrated upon deserts
further than vision would suffice.
Cling to that last shard of ice.
Only then will you begin.
Subtle grin held deep within
layers woven by the skeptic
who have yet to fully accept it.
Tarry long and you will stay.
Carry on along your way
lest you hope to end this day
hung high with nothing to say.



Prayed for penance. Never peace.
The vicious cycle will not cease.
Yearned to trifle with advisement.
Learned to scoff at all chastisement.
Let the renegade have reign.
Made no provisions for pain.
Lonesome legs lay sacrifice.
Now this moment is my vice.



I will not dangle forever.
Thought that this was all for better
than the time I'd never reserve.
Lent my boastful tone some words.
Struck a pose and called it something.
Wiser mouths could tell me nothing.
Stood here at the summit struggling.
Winds of change that sent me juggling.



I truly do love this angle.
Leave me be. Let me dangle.
Mangled, marred your point of view.
Oh the horrors they imbue…………



……………pulse of spirits lacking patience.
Frantic means. Can't wait to make this
moment epic and exclusive.
From this height, all is elusive.



Everything except the fall.
In the air we lose it all.
All of that lustrous ambition
in the place of admonition,
through the air one's fate recalls
every chance you had to crawl;
pacing steps safely near summit.
Brasher bearings ensure plummet.
Air locked tear ducts. No more crying.
Being pulled as if you're flying.
Thoughts evaporate with timing.
All except those before dying.



Pulled myself up in time to view
what was surely intended for you.
Never took the time to respect this ledge.
Better over the top than over the edge.



Appreciate the view from your angle
and if you should ever dangle,
be sure to improve your sight.
It may be your last chance to stand upright.








 



















Don't fall.
Please. †

Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment