Tuesday, February 5, 2013

"Stale Donuts"



"Stale Donuts"

Spent mornings wondering why I'm awake.
Is it all a fake?
Is this life a fluke?
Am I bound for truth
Or will I uncover a lie?
Still asking why
and it's such a beautiful day.
Nowhere to get away.
She's still asleep;
Likely floating on a cloud
And I'm thinking too loud.
She tells me that she's proud;
But how much of it is feigned?
The greater question, though:
Am I really this vain?
Do I need belly rubs to handle pain?
Is this the extent of my ego?
Parents show me off incessantly:
"Look at how he grows."
Maybe the process is too slow.
Maybe I'm impatient.
Never felt so latent.
This stagnant state so filthy.
These random thoughts might kill me.
Regardless of whatever
Or today's rainy weather,
It's still just me
And I have yet to see
Why I can't lay next to her
Instead of going out to face the world.
She's my songbird of solace.
My conduit of comfort and peace
And yet there are still times
When I feel like love is leased.
The less one expects,
The harder it is to express.
If I fail to impress,
I fear the impending stress
Of a bogged down state.
I'm going to be late.
The sun is blinding in it's beckon.
Bed sheets barely stifle it's detection
As if it's focused in my direction.
I've no construed collection
Of thoughts to offer her.
She rolls over to face me:
"Ready for work, baby?"
I'd love to just shout "SAVE ME!"
But I just respond "Maybe."
She notes how I've looked lately
And inquires accordingly.
I tell her "I've just been lazy;
But it's a new day. No worries."
Toothbrush in the shower.
Loose change on the dresser.
Work shoes with worn leather.
One long kiss with a smile.
She'll likely lay awhile
Since it's her off day.
I guess I'm on my way………… †EVL

Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment