Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"Squalls"

"Squalls"

Help me.
I couldn't see
Above this wall
Placed in front of me.

Surely,
I'm bound to fall
In floods so deep.
Can't weather the squalls.

Stood up straight but I'm on my knees.
Figured I'd scale these bricks with ease;
But with the dawn of new days,
You simply spread more clay.
You wouldn't dare let this wall decay.
No breakaway. No brief delay.
Determined to view me serpentine:
Crushed under you, life much maligned.

No life of mine.
Far from complete.
We've drawn our lines.
They're obsolete.

I stand more than six feet tall;
Yet in your hands, I feel so small:
Fragile in wind that howls and blows.
Fingertips feign care before you let me go;
But even if I fall, I'll never be free.
A year full of squalls prepared for me.
No one to call trapped beneath the sea.
Then you lower your wall in taunt of me.

Scaled your wall hoping to survive.
Pain ingrained so I'm still alive.
You let me live just to mock my drive
In hopes that I'll soon take a dive
Face first so that I lose grace first;
Embracing your quench like endless thirst.
You thirst for plea. I thirst to be free;
But one can't flee from uncertainty.

So tall this wall.
The gusts extensive.
The love is free;
This life expensive.

We cannot afford one accord.
No fee will ensure that we agree.
I will never give you all of me
And your rain will stain if I try to see.
Violent squalls that scratch these eyes.
Storm surge rapidly starting to rise.
Spiteful dam placed against the seas.
Flood for the forlorn gathered at my knees.

Leave me.
Just let me be.
Remove this wall
Placed in front of me.

Sadly,
Even if I should fall
In floods this deep,
I doubt you'll cease these squalls.

Hands hang from nails. I'm crucified
Until your storm takes me for a ride.
You know how badly I want to get over;
Yet you sweep me off like I'm perched on shoulders
Another splash in your grand scheme.
Bound my ankles with an anchor of shattered dreams.
Never knew a mother's love so destitute.
If I gave you chance, who would you shoot?

Likely,
no one at all.
Won't even breach this wall
Placed in front of me.

You're so ready to stall:
Keep me between this wall
And this flood too deep
Until I fall asleep;
Tired from times when I weep.
Bricks so slick that I lose grip.
Can't clutch this wall; so I just fall;
Washed away beneath these squalls.

If you truly love me…………

If you really want me to succeed…………

Then why hover above me?

Why can't you accept what I truly need?

Raised me to stand tall.
Taught me to look high
And here you've built a wall
That you won't let me climb.
Showed me how to swim
Should I ever take a fall;
Yet you refuse to calm your winds.
You won't sweep away these squalls.

The rain rinsed away fond memories.
I'm afraid this is as close as we'll ever be. †EVL

Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment