Tuesday, June 28, 2011

"From New Orleans, With Love"

"From New Orleans, With Love"


I am part of the high rise.


Those moist eyes
that walked across the bridge
just to excape water.
In search of food and water
sitting atop the shoulders of my father.
Brother consoles my mother.
Eyes close like shutters
whilst I wipe the debris stains.
My eyelids part to see them shudder
at the sight of a gun barrel.
We complain.
We shout and vent our pain
and still attempt to cross those plains
only to receive punctured brains.


I am a traveler from a recent past.


I'm out of resources.
I've used my very last.
I'm winded and gassed
and tired of being treated
like a nomad or outcast.
I've lost what I had;
but not my identity
so don't associate me
with your idea of iniquity.
I am not an obscenity.
You may not be kin to me;
but show me some humanity.


I am the city.


The fresh canvas painted
atop what was once tainted.
I swear that I almost fainted.
What a sight to see:
Churches with new mosaics;
shining bright lights for me.
Brick laden streets with new pavement
that countless travelers come to see.


I am still something more
although I'm not fully restored.


I am that trip to the corner store
to get a fish plate for $7.54.


I am winter nights in the CBD;
stepping out of the River Walk at 6:53.


I am a wonder in this world.
I am where you want to be.
Southern Gentlemen and Beautiful Girls
that you thought you'd never see.


I am fantastic;
such a marvelous spectacle.
I am Bayou Classic.
I am Essence Festival.


I am your favorite restaurant
with all the foods you love to eat.
I am fashion and music.
I am that rhythm in your feet.
I am a lush, rich culture.
I am that place you like to meet.
I am large floats in February
that you wave at on Poydras Street.


I'll admit that I'm not all great.
I am a record crime rate.
I am the harbor for young rebels
who are vulgar and irate;


but if you give me a chance,
I'll give you something to appreciate.
I can't cleanse the past from my hands;
but that doesn't mean I'm not great.


I am like nothing you've ever seen:
More loving than any guy or girl.
I am New Orleans:
The greatest city in the world.


From New Orleans, with love.<3
Laissez les bons temps rouler!


Written By: Devin Joseph Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment